hive

Often, I mull over how I plan to assemble something. When I was building a cherry and walnut desk for my study, I went so far as to design the entire piece of furniture in AutoCAD. I even wrote a Perl script that utilized the golden ratio to optimize the layout of the pieces of the wood that would comprise the top of the desk.

I started to assemble the boxes that will makeup my two hives. The boxes are made of select-grade Eastern pine; very few, if any knots; very nice lumber. If I was doing this on a larger scale, I would probably go for the commercial-grade boxes, but, at this point, I am not. People who have been into my office at my place of work may think that aesthetics are not important to me, and they would be correct…at work. My office is a mess with lots of papers in lots of stacks; I am constantly misplacing my timesheet.

It is not that do not take pride in my day-job; it is not that I do not enjoy being a programmer; it is simply different. Back to my hives — I have become fixated on the look of my hives; from the fasteners I intend to use on the finger joints, to the color of the hives, to whether I use a flat-topped telescoping cover or a pitched cover.

So far, the assembly of the boxes has been going nicely. I am gluing the finger joints and using temporary screws. Because I am a bit finicky with aesthetics – which includes the fasteners – I do not have enough of the temporary screws to use them permanently, and I do not want to use multiple flavors of screws or even a combination of nails and screws. Plus, I intend to use a solid color stain and staining over the screws would not be good; it would anger the bees when they moved into their new homes.

Of course, I will post the final photos of assembled, stained, and finish-fastened boxes, but I will this post at that..

</p>